Master Reno || The build

If you haven't read part one of our new master bedroom you can catch it here.  So we landed on a plan for the closet, now the task was mostly was handed over to Paul to work on.  One the agenda was framing, electrical, drywall, ripping out old carpet, finishing and installing pocket door, painting (walls, trim & ceiling) and getting carpet installed.  First thing, he ripped up carpet in the corner of the room where the closet was going, and he starting framing the closet out.  We stored all the carpet in our garage and each trash week we slowly threw some away.

The pocket door track was also installed during this phase.  Honestly the framing was the quickest part of the project.  Next up was electrical.  We needed to move on light on the ceiling to be inside the closet, and we needed to wire a switch for it.  We added a light on the front of the closet because the mini hall we created was going to be darker since we moved a light.  We also added electricity to the side of the closet on the outside so we can hang our TV.  The final electrical work done was moving the main light switches.  We have a door that swings left as you enter the room, and oh they put the light switches behind the door on the left as you enter... it was a minor annoyance but I'm so happy we moved them.  Paul's dad came over to help do the electrical work.  We needed a little extra help in that area to be safe, don't want to start an electrical fire.

Onto the drywall!  This was the longest process for sure.  Our friend Matt came over to help hang the drywall, being 7 months pregnant by this point I was not going to be much of a help lifting drywall and holding it.  Then the finishing began, and the never ending drywall dust.  See, I hadn't cleaned out the room yet so I was pretty screwed.  Everything got covered and I'm still fining it around the house I swear.  Drywall dust is sent from the devil, I swear.  I wipe something clean, and oh look still drywall residue everywhere.

Somewhere along the way we ran into a trim conundrum, we could not find baseboards to match what we had in the room.  Paul looked at big box stores, lumbar yards, and even a specialty trim stores.  Ah, we ended up having just barely enough from the inside of the closet on the original wall to use on the outside of the new wall.  We then put totally new on the inside of the closet to make it easy and not spend $$$ to get it to match exactly. 

(Sorry future homeowners if we screw you up in some way "WHY DID THEY USE TWO DIFFERENT TRIM BOARDS THAT LOOK ALMOST THE SAME?!")

Paint time!  We chose Benjamin Moore classic gray.  It worked well with our carpet.  We went with carpet from Home Depot, this is the one that came highly recommended.  I spend my birthday, 8 months pregnant on a stool scooting around a room taping to trim to be painted.  Not exactly fun.

Once the whole room was painted it was carpet time, we'll pick up there next master bedroom post.  Oh but first, Theo is getting more blog time because, well he's adorable and we love him.  But our fur-child was not so happy with losing "her" room.  She looks moderately demonic.  

There is so much of the ugly work that has to be done before I can get to doing the pretty work.  But, we're almost there.